When your child reaches the age of 18, parental rights are terminated and you may find yourself unable to discuss things with your child's doctor or teacher. There are ways to address this issue without getting a guardianship.

If you're considering guardianship for a child, The Humble Law Firm PLLC can help you weigh options along the spectrum of care. These range from Supported Decision Making to Powers of Attorney to a full Guardianship. Attorney Macy A. Melton can explain the differences and assist you.

The laws regarding guardianships have changed over the years to emphasize independence of the disabled individual. You must demonstrate lesser restrictive alternatives have been considered and are not feasible in order to show the need for a guardianship. As part of the process, we should discuss these alternatives and consider them. If a guardianship is appropriate, we will help you through the process and make it as simple as possible. Once established, we can help you administer it properly or seek a transfer to a different county if you have moved.

Contact The Humble Law Firm at (214) 296-2025 today to find out if guardianship is right for your situation and discuss alternatives.